Sunday 12 June 2011

~ The ASOS diaries ~ (3)

Third edition of The ASOS diaries!
"Raspberry Rain"

Well it's raining in Newcastle at the moment... joy! But never fear guys and dolls, I was determined to get this post up before the next week had started.

I have been trying to update my wardrobe recently, buying colours and garments I wouldn't normally choose, so when I saw my friend Lauren wearing this beautiful chiffon dress, I practically died when she told me it was from ASOS. This Doll hunted it down! This raspberry dress looks very smart when worn alone, making it seem more of an evening wear garment, so I have found it difficult to wear out without feeling overdressed or self conscious. So I took a different styling approach:
Dress and Necklace: ASOS
Shoes and Belt: New Look
Leggings: H&M
Customized denim shirt: Primark
A trend I have noticed in the shops this summer is the return of stone wash denim; not jeans but waistcoats. A progression of last years denim-look shirt craze that took over the 13-16 age range, denim waistcoats are showing up in stores such as Topshop, River Island and New Look. Normally this Doll tries to not follow trends so obviously, however I have been craving mini denim waistcoat of my own, as I feel it would lift a simple vest channeling a festival bohemian look.

As a typically poor student, I decided to save money and make my own denim waistcoat: take last years denim shirt, which I have not worn since I purchased it, and I cut of the sleeves. TA DA! A denim waistcoat is born!

Sure its not perfect or small like a typical waistcoat should be but I like the length my adaption has; as the hem is dipped, the line and lie of the shirt is very feminine.As much as I hate to admit it, denim is VERY versatile, even if you only like it in the form of jeans like I do, I think when styled correctly and with the right accessories, denim shirts and waistcoats can look soft.

*Doll Tip* If you want to customize a denim shirt yourself, I would style it with a skinny belt at the waist to emphasize your figure if your denim shirt is very baggy. I would also accessories with broaches or a corsage if you want to update your new waistcoat further. 

What is your view on denim? 
Will you be sporting a denim shirt or waistcoat this summer?
Doll love xXx

2 comments:

  1. I love my denim shirt but I'm not sure where it is :-(. You look fantastic by the way, the dress is great and I am in love with your shoes!

    Sarah
    xx
    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your comment hun :)
    noooo you must hunt it down! though it be in a random place coz you've just moved :)
    happy birthday as well!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete