Friday 10 June 2011

Illustrator Maren Esdar

~ Maren Esdar ~
Hello blog lovers! I thought I'd introduce you to one of my favorite fashion illustrators! I first came across her in the book "The Beautiful: Illustrations for fashion and style", which is an amazing collection of the top fashion illustrators of the moment, a *Doll must have*!!!

Maren Esdar is originally from Germany but she was educated as both a stylist and illustrator in London and Hamburg. Her surreal and fascinating illustrations are arranged by hand and also constructed digitally.

I find her collages absolutely exquisite. At first glance they seem strange, abnormal looking, full of character and wonder; look closer and you'll see that these digitally composed illustrations hold many secrets. For instance, the below image titled "Arachnophobia", part of Esdar's Phobia exhibition, is constructed from spider's legs, abdomen, eyes and mandibles. This Doll has arachnophobia, but even I find myself closely inspecting this illustration - Maren Esdar has found a way to make a fear into something beautiful.
- Arachnophobia -
An extreme or irrational fear of spiders. 
- Mottephobia -
An irrational fear or hatred of moths.
One of my personal favorites is "Mottephobia", the above image; I love the Alexander McQueen -esque prints that the moth wings have created through digital mirror imaging. To be honest I'm a big fan of moths - they are like butterflies only brown!

And here is my own creation made using Adobe Photoshop CS4 and handmade collage.
I decided to create an illustration in the style of Maren Esdar, but also stick to my own illustrative collage style where I like to play with the proportion of the human body, arms and legs.
- Magpie Land -
made and owned by Sarah Rebecca Andrews
This piece is for a later feature that I will introduce to my blog called 'Magpie Land' where I will photograph my large jewelry collection, with styling tips and stories.

What do you think of Maren Esdar's illustrations? Beautiful? Strange?
What is your biggest fear?
Do you like my illustration? 
Doll love xXx

p.s. check out her website: http://www.marenesdar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment